Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lessons From The Monastery

Last weekend, my husband and I went to a monastery for a few days to get away from the noise of the world and find some solitude. When we first arrived, I had a hard time slowing down. I'm so used to packed schedules and never ending to-do lists. It took the entire first night to get all the hustle and bustle out of my system. Even when I was reading my Bible that night, I had to stop and ask myself, "Why am I rushing?" I learned that night that I need to give myself more space to breathe, to think, to listen.

When I woke up the second day, I was ready for the slower pace. I did a lot of praying, reading, and thinking between my meals. I was even able to go on a little hike and take a nap. I learned that an hour of prayer can go by so fast when you are praying for things and people you care about. I learned that every moment of my day doesn't have to be filled with stuff, that God has a way of speaking to us and refreshing us in the spaces. I learned that a boring moment isn't necessarily unproductive - filling boring moments with useless things is. I learned that a state of rest can be extremely difficult to enter into and way too easy to get out of. I learned that there's too much unnecessary noise in my life that is robbing me of some of the things I want most. I learned the power of intentionality in spending extravagant time with God. It goes against the grain of the busyness of our society, yet it propels us to a greater level of productivity and effectiveness that all of our busyness could never attain. It is the extravagance of time that allows us to experience greater depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment