Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Click Away for Lupus Awareness

I love the internet. I also hate the internet. Google the word "lupus" and you are sure to find a myriad of stuff that is possibly (probably) untrue, outdated, infuriating, discouraging...Who has time for all that? There are a lot of wonderful resources out there, but it can take a while to separate the good from the bad. So after a year and a half of having lupus, what are my top go-tos?

1. My go-to lupus website: Lupus.org
When the doctors started mentioning lupus to me and I was overwhelmed with questions, the Lupus Foundation of America had answers. Everyday thousands of people worldwide visit the Lupus Foundation's website because of their wealth of up-to-date information. This, in my opinion, is the place to start and keep coming back to. This year, for Lupus Awareness Month, they're emphasizing taking action. You can learn more here.

2. My second go-to lupus website: LupusCheck.com
Lupus is not the same for everyone. so the key to effective treatment and care is the patient's ability to listen to their body and share what they're experiencing. This can be a lot harder than you would think. LupusCheck.com has downloadable resources to help lupus patients keep track of their symptoms and effectively communicate them with their families, caregivers, and doctors.

3. My go-to lupus reference book: The Lupus Book, by Daniel J. Wallace, MD 
This book is quite technical (not the type of book you take to the beach), but really helpful for understanding what is happening in your body. Reading this helped me to be able to communicate with my doctors better (and even helped me and my rheumatologist discover that I also have Sjogren's syndrome).

4. My go-to lupus blog: Despite Lupus 
This blog by Sara Gorman is my go-to when I need some lupus inspiration or advice from a "layman." She reveals her struggles, victories, and very practical advice on how to live a full life with lupus without being too touchy-feely. Unlike many blogs or books I have read, she is not angry, jaded, or in despair. She is a proactive entrepreneur who refuses to let lupus keep her down. She sells fashionable pillbags that are designed to help lupus patients easily carry, organize, and take their many medications. (I never leave the house without mine.) She even wrote a couple of books--I highly recommend--to help lupus patients, family members, and even children of lupus patients understand and navigate daily life with this disease.

Bonus: If you're a fan of Pinterest, there are a lot of lupus boards. You can see mine here


No comments:

Post a Comment