Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Purple Shmurple

Purple is not my favorite color. In fact, I despise purple so much that I would pick pink--which I often claim is my least favorite color--over purple any day. I don't really have a good reason for my strong dislike of the color purple. I think I was just born this way.

...Then I got lupus. Purple is the color for lupus awareness. When I'm having a lupus flare, I have a bracelet that I wear to encourage me throughout the day. It's purple (of course), has a butterfly charm (butterflies are a lupus symbol because of a butterfly-shaped rash many lupus patients have on their face), and says the word "BRAVE" to remind me to be brave even in times when I feel weak or afraid. When I wear it, my husband knows that I'm having an extra hard day, that I will need some extra encouragement, and I will probably struggle to accomplish simple tasks. (If you come over my house when I'm wearing my lupus bracelet, expect to walk into a mess.)


For Lupus Awareness Month, my life is covered in purple: purple wardrobe, purple jewelry, purple profile pics, purple pens...A lot of purple. I believe so much about lupus awareness (see why here) that I am actually excited to don my least favorite color for the cause.

On Friday, May 16, 2014, the Lupus Foundation of America is doing a Put On Purple campaign. It's easy to participate. Here's what you do:

1. Put on purple.
2. Tell people why.

To help spread the word even farther, take a pic and post it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever other social media you like. This will give you a chance to take a selfie for a great cause! (How often do we get to say that our selfies change the world?)

This Friday, I'll be wearing purple for lupus awareness, for myself, and for all the people who are impacted by lupus. Who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Maybe I should have asked your permission first, but I didn't: I posted your blog on our Lupus pinboard on Pinterest:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/105553184991418691/
    I hope this is OK with you. I'll remove it immediately any time you say the word.

    I wanted to leave you a comment because I think you're the first person I've come across who hates purple as much as I do. I hate butterflies too. They're just bugs with freakishly large wings. But I did buy my very first purple t-shirt this year. My sister was diagnosed with SLE 19 years ago, and now I own a single purple shirt. :)

    Thanks for your blog and for not liking purple! Take care! Lupus Awareness FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, Thank you so much for sharing my blog and sporting purple for lupus awareness!

    ReplyDelete