Saturday, August 23, 2014

Lupus and the Hand Cream Quest

I am on a quest to find the perfect hand cream for me. This may not be a very noble quest. It's quite mundane. But because my work requires I take great care of my hands, it is also quite important. It is also a lot more complicated than it probably should be. There are so many too many things that need to be considered:

- It needs to be extremely moisturizing to keep my hands from cracking and my joints from getting stiff from dehydration.
- It can't leave much of a residue so that I don't leave a greasy film on all the pianos I play throughout the day...Ew.
- It needs to be free of synthetic fragrances so that it doesn't irritate my eczema or cause me to have a resurgence of discoid lupus.
- It can't contain immune boosters (such as echinacea). I know immune boosters are supposed to be good for you, but unfortunately they are extremely harmful for people with lupus.
- It can't contain ingredients that can cause an increased sensitivity to sunlight as people with lupus are typically photosensitive as it is.
- It can't contain any ingredients that could negatively interact with the medications I take.
- It can't have any weird smells that would leave me nauseated.

After months of buying tiny-sized tubes, leaving stores with handfuls of samples, meticulously reading lists of ingredients and researching every ingredient I'm unfamiliar with...the quest continues. There have been (and continues to be) many other quests: face wash, make-up, sunscreen, shampoo...Every product has a long list of considerations. Considerations that are not on the radar for most people (read: store clerks and well-meaning acquaintances). Considerations that probably don't make sense to people who don't walk in my shoes. It's quite the ordeal.




No comments:

Post a Comment