Monday, April 6, 2015

How To Encourage Someone With A Chronic Illness (Epilogue)


My husband is my hero. He works full time while pursuing his Master's. The night before his very first day of grad school, he was with me in the emergency room. It was a very long night. We didn't know yet that I had lupus, but we did know that there was something very wrong with my health. Everything I couldn't do on my own - the list was very long - he had to help me with. I'm able to function a lot better now, but he is still my greatest helper and supporter. He lifts me up when I can't stand on my own (literally). I honestly don't know how I would make it without him. I lean on him when I need strength, but I am also very aware that, at times, his strength runs out, too. The burden he feels is very real. He can't physically feel my pain or symptoms, but he is living with lupus as much as I am.

I am not the only one who needs encouragement.

He also needs to be heard.

He also needs people who will show him empathy. (Someone once asked me, "Can't your husband help you more?" No. On top of work and grad school, he spends much of his time taking care of me. He does not have much in terms of free time. He is exhausted far too often. Put yourself in his shoes - that's what empathy is, after all - and you'll see how horrific such a question can be.)

He needs people who understand that his identity is much bigger than being a caretaker or the husband of a lupus patient.

He needs people to consider the gravity of the words they speak to him.

He needs people to be slow to advise him. (You would be shocked to hear some of the useless advice people give him.)

He needs people who will celebrate his victories. (There is so much on his shoulders that it's really easy for him to not notice when he's had a victory.)

He needs people to understand that he has a full range of emotions. (He's got a lot going on! Let him feel the feels!)

He needs people to live life with him. (He needs a sense of normalcy as much as I do.)

There are days when he can use some help and tangible expressions of encouragement. (In the days that followed my lupus diagnosis, someone that my husband and I look up to gave him a big hug. He's not typically a "hugger," but this hug in particular meant something to him.)

And from time to time, he needs someone to ask him how they can encourage him.

People have told me that I'm a superhero - that they can't believe all that I've accomplished while I battle lupus. I'm not a superhero. To be honest, the reason I accomplish so much is because I have an amazing husband who sacrifices for me everyday and doesn't let me give up when things get hard. If you ask me, I think he's the real superhero! People don't really see all that he does for me. They often rush to give me encouragement, but forget that he could use some, too.

Don't neglect the caretakers. They do a lot! It can be hard for them to keep from drowning amidst their endless list of responsibilities. The burden they carry is heavy and discouragement is often looming much too near. (Imagine how it feels to see someone you love in pain everyday and not be able to take it away.) So don't forget about these heroes who often go unnoticed. The encouragement you bring may be the very thing they need to make it through the next week!


2 comments:

  1. I had always wondered how to offer support to my husband, of course we are the ones in pain physically like you said, but I see my husband doing it all balancing work and helping when I'm sick and with our kids. It actually made me feel kinda depressed because I felt like a burden to him even though he didn't make me feel that way... it's just the empathy you have for your spouse because they are dealing with all of this as much as we are physically in their own way and mentally.
    Lately, it feels like a silent battle for us but when I stop and think more than anything it is for him because once in a while people at least ask how I'm feeling. Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lipstick LupusMommy! I've learned to really be vocal with my husband more...vocal with my appreciation and vocal about the times when I feel like a burden. It lets him know that I see all that he does and that it matters.

      Delete