Friday, May 1, 2015

Lupus Awareness Month, No. 3


This is my third Lupus Awareness Month. When I was diagnosed with lupus about two and a half years ago, I knew two things about the disease:

1. Dr. House said, "It's never lupus." (Apparently, sometimes it is.)
2. One of the contestants on America's Next Top Model had it and it made her hair fall out.

"Lupus" was a scary word to me because I didn't know what to expect. I didn't have any family or friends who had lupus  - no one who could tell me their personal experiences with the disease. I've known people with cancer, diabetes, Crohn's...but no one with lupus.

And then, there was the frustration I felt every time someone said, "You have lupus? I've never heard of it." Educating myself about lupus was hard. There was a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time. But that was nothing compared to the task of educating the people I work alongside and live life with. There were things they needed to know. And I was far from equipped to give them the information they needed.

So I am so thankful for Lupus Awareness Month. For the education it provides. For the funds it raises to help find a cure. For the community it facilitates. For the tangible ways it enables people to show support and give encouragement to those who are affected by lupus.


Check out the Lupus Foundation of America to see the KNOW LUPUS campaign and also to see how you can take action to spread awareness.

2 comments:

  1. #1 my husband wants to buy me the t-shirt to wear every time I visit the ER!

    I would love to see more Lupus Awareness, it would make life a little less complicated explaining. Thank you for being a voice for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the shirt, too! And I am so grateful that my voice is being heard. It is such a pleasure!

      Delete