Thursday, July 24, 2014

Exhausted Body, Happy Heart: Traveling with Lupus


I went on an amazing week-long vacation to DC earlier this month. My mind is still on a high from wandering all over my favorite city. I love being on vacation. I love going to museums, hiking in new places, and exploring through quirky shops. My body, however, does not. When I go on vacation, my body thinks I'm being tortured as it has to work harder to try to keep up with all of my adventures. At the end of each day (and the next morning...), my body is screaming with arthritis and fatigue (and a little bit of nausea). And halfway through my vacation in DC, I was already exhausted.

It's not an option to have a vacation from lupus, but it is very possible to have a great vacation with lupus. Here are some ways to keep lupus from spoiling your summertime vacation:

1) Rest before you go. This takes a lot of careful planning and forethought. If you wear yourself out tying up loose ends at work and running a dozen errands to get ready to go on vacation, you won't have much left when you actually get there.

2) Take breaks. Many of them! Sit every chance you get. Benches at parks and museums. Coffee shops. Anywhere! And while you're sitting there, take advantage of the opportunity to soak in your surroundings.

3) Drink a lot of water. Staying hydrated is a great way to give you energy and help keep your body from breaking down.

4) Wear sweat-wicking, sun-protective clothing and stay in the shade every chance you get. This will keep you cool and give you extra protection if you are photosensitive.

5) If you're with someone, let them help you. Most of the time, I don't ask for help because I don't want to be a burden. But I've come to realize that my husband (my partner in world exploration) would much rather help me than see me struggle. While we were in DC, he did a lot of little things like opening water bottles for me and holding my hand (pulling me along) when we were walking uphill. It's also important to make sure you communicate when you are getting tired or need something. They can't help you if they don't know.

6) Don't forget to take your meds! If I miss just one dose of my meds, I get fatigued and nauseated very fast and it takes me days to recover. Being in a new place can throw off your routine, but make sure you don't forget the basics. (Set an alarm on your phone if you have to.)

7) Eat nutritious foods and stay away from trigger foods. Everybody wants to eat exciting food when they're on vacation. But make sure to be smart about it. Nitpicking about every ingredient might not be an option, but you can choose to avoid/minimize the "bad" stuff and eat things that help make you feel better.

8) When you have the choice, always pick the easier option. Elevator or stairs? Elevator! Walk or ride the Metro? Metro! Do anything you can to conserve your strength so you can use it when it really counts.

9) When your body is wearing down, don't force yourself to keep going. If you need to go back to your hotel and call it a night earlier than you were planning, do it. Resting so you have energy for the next day is always a better option than having to spend an entire day in bed.

10) Don't get emotional about any adjustments you have to make because of lupus. It is what it is. You don't have to let guilt, shame, or self-pity be a part of your vacation. Be thankful for this amazing opportunity you have.

11) Give your body time to recover when you get back. Don't expect your body to be able to dive full force into work, household chores, daily routines the moment you return home. Your body (and mind) may be a bit slower and require a little time to get readjusted.

Do whatever you need to do to stay healthy and  to keep your body from shutting down. And don't forget to enjoy every good moment! Life with lupus is definitely hard. But, having lupus does not mean you can't live to the fullest. You can still have a full life. Life with lupus just means you have to live in a different way.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, Esther. Practical and helpful!

    ReplyDelete