Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Happy Book for Crappy Days


Some moments in life are horrible, discouraging, draining. Some days (or seasons) are full of them. They leave you wondering about your life and doubting yourself. Some leave you reeling in pain, overwhelmed by a flood of emotions too deep for words. Some days, you need to remember that not all days are like that. Some days are amazing. So amazing you never want them to end. Full of uncontrollable laughter, beautiful memories you never want to forget, moments you wish could never end.

And that's why I made My Happy Book of Happy Things for Crappy Days. Long name, I know. So I refer to it as My Happy Book. It's a sort of scrapbook-in-progress where I stuff wonderful little things: meaningful cards and notes from people, inspiring quotations, and tiny trinkets from special moments in my life. It reminds me of what I have accomplished and what I can accomplish. It reminds me that there are people in my life that love me. It reminds me that no matter how hard a season is, life is still good.

In many ways, I am presently in a period of waiting. I have experienced frustration, discouragement, self-doubt, pain, and I have told my husband "I quit" more times than I can count. (I never really quit, though. Something about saying it helps satisfy my frustration for a brief moment and then I go right back to not quitting.) But several weeks ago, as I was looking through some old emails to try to find a document, I stumbled on a beautiful email someone special wrote to me before I moved back to the States after living in the Philippines for a couple years. She wrote about so many beautiful memories and told me how my life and work there made an impact. She wrote about her prayers for my future. It has been almost five years since that email was written. And as I read it in my house in America, I cried so many tears. Tears of remembering so many good things. Of remembering who I was who I am. Of remembering where I am headed. Of remembering that this season will pass and another season of adventure awaits. I think I'm going to print this email and put it in My Happy Book. I'm sure another day will come when I will need to read it again.


If you are having a "crappy day" and need some encouragement, maybe this will help: A Word (not mine) Of Encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment