Monday, March 23, 2015

Unburdening

I made a major change in my life yesterday. Every since I was diagnosed with lupus, my eating habits, my daily pace, my address, and my job have all changed. But my everyday, go-to bag has not. I've gotten other bags to add to my collection, but they are all too-large-to-call-a-purse, hurt-your-back-and-neck-and-shoulders, and carry-everything-you-possibly-can-including-a-small-library, sized. Until now. 


Yesterday, I decided that I'm done carrying heavy burdens everywhere I go. I decided to "upgrade" to something much smaller. My new purse - it really is small enough to be called a purse - has room for my cellphone, driver's license, debit card, keys, and pillfold. That's it. Five things. Only the essentials. Nothing more. It's liberating. And scary. 

What if five things aren't enough? What if I'm out and I don't have something with me that I neeeeeed?!? What if something bad happens because I didn't have everything with me? 

I had gotten used to my burden. It was my safety blanket...a very painful one, but a safety blanket nonetheless. It made me feel secure to have everything with me "just in case." But sometimes, you have to let go of the security blanket. Sometimes, you have to look your "What ifs" in the face and say, "The world will keep moving, my life will keep going, and it's going to be okay."

2 comments:

  1. This has been on my list of things to do! I literally feel the PAIN from carrying the big purse like you've mentioned! I carry around a spiral to take notes for church and it stays in my big bag purses along with snacks, makeup, glasses, wallet, pens, junk... who knows what else? That is such a cute new purse too! Your shoulders will thank you once they're used to the change! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lipstick LupusMommy, I'm definitely feeling the change now! When I need to have more things with me, I have a bigger bag that I leave in the car and I pull things out only when I need them. (I make sure to hide my big bag and I don't leave anything valuable in the car, of course.) This helps keep me from giving up and falling back into my old ways. :)

      Delete