Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Prayers for Sleep

I am presently typing away in the wee hours of the morning. I have insomnia.

Last night, after dinner, I informed my husband that I had a headache and it was probably because I didn't have any coffee or tea that morning. I simply forgot. For me, caffeine headaches are no small thing. They often lead to migraines and a night of misery and uselessness. There is only one way to keep it from getting worse: drink a cup of coffee. So my husband lovingly made me a concoction of iced coffee with vanilla almond milk. It tasted wonderful. My headache is gone. And now I have insomnia. And my back hurts. Okay, the back pain is completely unrelated, but it is present nonetheless. And I have a feeling that even if I didn't have a cup of coffee swimming through my veins, the pain in my back would have been enough to keep me up.

Lupus leads to a vicious cycle: pain begets insomnia, which begets more pain, which begets more insomnia. This is not only true for those with lupus, but also for many who are battling chronic illness. At times, it can seem so cruel when sleep alludes those who feel they need it the most. It can be frustrating, discouraging, even lonely.

I have had many people tell me that they are praying for God to heal me. I appreciate those prayers and the love that motivates them. I hope those prayers continue. But can I be truly honest with you? Sometimes, Often times, I think I would prefer it if people would pray that I would have a good night's sleep. Of course, the two prayers are not mutually exclusive, but I am well aware that most people pray for the former and don't even consider the latter. I have learned that I can live a full life with lupus. It's not easy, but it is a full life. The thing is, we live one day at a time. And I have lost so many days because of the sleepless nights that preceded them.

So, for those of you who pray for your friends who need a healing touch from God, I would like to challenge you to not let your prayers end there. Pray for sleep. Pray for restful nights. And pray that when morning comes, they wake up feeling refreshed.

If you would like more ideas of how you can pray for someone with a chronic illness, you can find some here.

No comments:

Post a Comment